- Uber Eats is an online food ordering and delivery platform launched in 2014. It initially operated as UberFRESH in Santa Monica and expanded to other cities, eventually becoming Uber Eats.
- Uber Eats is available in over 6,000 cities across 45 countries and has 66 million monthly active users internationally.
- In 2020, Uber Eats generated $4.8 billion in revenue, with gross bookings surpassing $30 billion. In 2021, revenue increased to $8.3 billion, and gross bookings reached $51.6 billion.
- Uber Eats is the most popular food delivery service globally, with a 29% market share.
- The platform has 600,000 supported restaurants, and users can access menus, reviews, and ratings through the Uber app.
Uber Eats is an online food ordering and delivery platform that was launched in 2014. When it first launched it was known as UberFRESH, delivering foods in Santa Monica to a small test area. The service began to expand delivering to California, Beverly Hills and West Hollywood. Within one year, UberFresh was renamed UberEats and was available in Barcelona, New York and Chicago. UberEats is now operational in over 6,000 cities across 45 countries.
How it Works: IOS and Android users can use the Uber App to view menus, reviews and ratings to order food and pay via a web browser or the app. According to the latest Uber users statistics, the Uber App was installed 95 million times in 2020.
Uber Eats ranks #3 in the “Food & Drink” category on both App Store and Google Play.
From revenue to the #1 most unexpected food & requested combo, here’s a breakdown of everything you’ll find out about on this page:
- Key Uber Eats Stats
- Uber Eats Annual Revenu
- Uber Eats Gross Bookings
- Uber Eats Users
- Uber Eats Yearly Average Spend
- Uber Eats Cities Available
- Uber Eats Supported Restaurants
- Uber Eats Acquisition
- Most Popular Cuisine
- Most ordered item
- And More …
Key Uber Eats Stats
- Uber Eats generated $4.8 billion in revenue in 2020, a 152 percent increase year-on-year.
- Uber Eats gross bookings surpassed $30 billion in 2020.
- Internationally, Uber Eats is the most popular food delivery service, with 66 million users.
- Uber Eats is available in 6,000 cities, with 600,000 supported restaurants.
- Uber Eats controls 29 percent of the global food delivery market. (Fortune)
What Is Uber Eats Annual Revenue?
Uber Eats generated $8.3 billion in revenue in 2021, up from $4.8 billion in 2020 with an estimated 152 percent year-over-year increase in revenue.
What Are Uber Eats Gross Bookings?
Uber Eats gross bookings surpassed $30 billion in 2020, reaching $51.5 billion by 2021.
How Many Uber Eats Users Are There?
Due to the pandemic facilitating a rise in home deliveries, the usage of Uber Eats peaked. In 2020, Uber Eats had 66 million monthly active users, with a 300% user growth year on year. It was estimated that by 2021 there will be an increase to 81 million users.
What Is Uber Eats Yearly Average User Spend?
In 2017, on average an Uber Eats users spent $141, increasing to $220 by 2018.
How Many Cities Is Uber Eats Available In?
Only 3 years after launching in 2014, Uber Eats was available in 120 cities worldwide. This number increased steadily from 2017 to 2020. However, from 2020 – 2021 there was a significant increase in the number of cities from 1000 cities in 2020 to 6000 in 2021.
Source: BusinessOfApp, Uber
How Many Uber Eats Supported Restaurants Are There?
In 2021, there were 750,000 supported uber eats restaurants. As a restaurant, there is a one-time $350 activation charge. This covers a tablet, installation of the Uber Eats order software, a food photoshoot and support throughout the setup.
According to Uber Eats’ website, restaurants are charged 30% for delivery and 15% for pick-up, unless a restaurant tries to negotiate a lower cost.
Cities In The United States Where Uber Eats Is The Most Popular Food Delivery Service
- Uber Eats has the biggest sales share in Miami, accounting for 55% of total sales when compared to other food delivery services. In comparison, the meal delivery service had the lowest sales share in San Francisco, accounting for only 11% of total sales over the same period.
- Uber Eats, a food delivery service, captured 24% of the entire food delivery market in the United States in 2018. By 2022, the company’s market share is expected to reach 30%.
- Uber Eats’ gross bookings more than doubled to $12.46 billion in the first quarter of 2021.
Strongholds Of Uber Eats (and competitors) In Various Metro Areas
- DoorDash generates more than half of all sales in Texas’s two largest metro regions, Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston, and nearly three-quarters of all sales in its home market of the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Uber Eats is the most popular food delivery service in Miami receiving 57% of meal delivery sales, while Grubhub and Doordash are the most popular in New York.
Who Have Uber Eats Acquired?
|Ando||Jan 2022, 2018|
|orderTalk||May 22, 2018|
|Postmates||Dec 1, 2020|
|Drizly||Oct 13, 2021|
- In 2020 Uber bought Postmate, a third-party delivery provider, for about $2.65 billion.
- After completing the deal, Uber Eats dropped around 185 employees or 15% of the staff at Postmates Inc.
- Uber Technologies Inc. agreed to acquire Drizly Inc., which makes an on-demand alcohol delivery app, for US$1.1 billion. The deal is Uber’s biggest since July when it bought Postmates, a food delivery app.
What Is The Most Popular Cuisine on Uber Eats?
- In 2021, the most popular cuisine on uber eats was Mexican closely followed by Burgers & Sandwiches.
What is the Most Ordered Item On Uber Eats?
- The most ordered food item in 2021 from uber eats was french fries.
What Is The Most Popular Delivery Requests In The US?
- In 2021, the most popular delivery request in the US was no onion.
Top 10 Cuisines 2021:
- Burgers + Sandwiches
- Breakfast (Bagels + Donuts)
Top 10 most ordered items:
- French Fries
- Pad Thai
- Garlic Naan
- Miso Soup
- California Roll
- Chicken Tikka Masala
- Mozzarella Sticks
- Spicy Tuna Roll
The top 10 most popular delivery requests in the US:
- No Onion
- Extra Sauce
- No Tomato
- No Cheese
- No Ice
- Well Done
- No Mushroom
- No Pickle
- No Sour Cream
- Of the more than 1,000+ active grocery stores on Uber Eats in the U.S., weekends were the most popular days to order delivery, with the 5-7pm timeframe the most popular time to schedule orders. And one person even ordered $7,719.82 worth of groceries, containing over 218 individual items!
- Bananas are the #1 selling grocery item in the U.S. – in fact, we sold more than 25,150 pounds of bananas in the U.S. in September alone.
- One eater in Raleigh, NC ordered from Zayka Indian Cuisine 904 times, someone in Nashville, TN ordered Pasta Amore 794 times, and a hungry customer in Peoria, IL ordered from Bacci Pizza 764 times.
- Compared to before the pandemic, side orders of cheese fries increased more than 1,234%.
Uber Eats FAQs
What is the average Uber Eats delivery time?
The average Uber Eats order takes 30 minutes
How much does it cost Uber Eats to deliver a $40 food order?
It costs Uber Eats $43.50 to deliver your $40 food order.
What is the Fastest ever Uber Eats delivery?
The fastest Uber Eats delivery was completed in just 4.5 minutes and included three 20 packs of Chicken McNuggets® and an Almighty Angus® burger from McDonald’s Grey Lynn.